Wednesday

Day 20- Your Big Ol’ Mouth!


Today’s Quote: “Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.”- Psalm 141:3



When I first began to pray for and experience the presence of God’s Holy Spirit in my life, it was not so much a rush of emotions or feelings as it was that He just slowly began to open my eyes and make me more aware. I started noticing things, or the importance of things, that I had never really noticed before.

I suppose it could be different for anyone, but  He is always so good about giving us only what we can handle.

I can remember that one of the first things He began bringing to my attention was my mouth.

Aye mama-mia! Has anything gotten me in more trouble than my mouth?

I mean really, just leave it to me to blurt out 
something hurtful, 
or something that gives somebody the wrong impression, 
or something that just makes me look like a straight up idiot.


Now of course I still do these things at times, but believe me when I tell you that God has brought me a looooong way here.

And do you know what one of the biggest things about my mouth that God showed me? 

That a lot of time I just need to keep it shut!

Profound, I know.

But you see, I’m the type who always has to say something.  

Maybe you’re the same way.

But in the Bible there’s a proverb that says: 

"Those who talk a lot are likely to sin. But those who control their tongues are wise.”  Proverbs 10:19


Um, gulp. Come to find out the Bible has a lot to say about controlling our tongues.


At first the thought of trying to "control my tongue" seemed like an impossible feet for a deeply emotional, fiery Irish, Italian like me. Trust me when I say you had never met someone who needed to get her point across, one way or another, quite as badly as I did.               

But that was exactly the problem. 

My need to get my point across in any given situation was directly linked to my lack of trust in God to handle that situation.

Do you see what I mean? How we tend to handle things more with our words, more than we give them over to God?

But, oh, the power of silence.
What an amazing lesson this was for a girl like me.


Learning the discipline of silence, and how sometimes it can say a whole lot more than what we can say with words. What wisdom. What truth!

Silence, in a lot situations, is the most powerful form of communication. It can speak volumes louder than anything we could possibly say.


Silence, in a lot situations, is also the biggest way in which we can actively put our trust in the Lord.

“One reason we can hardly bear to remain silent is that it makes us feel so helpless. We are so accustom to relying upon words to manage and control others. If we are silent, who will take control? God will take control, but we will never let him take control until we trust him. Silence is intimately related to trust.”- Richard Foster

When we are silent we “put the stopper on all self-justification” and allow God to take the situation over.

Are you using your words to stay in control of a situation that you should be giving over to God?

If so, you are doing yourself a lot more harm than good.

“Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.” -Psalm 141:3

The bible also says that the tongue is a little member, but it is powerful! (James 3:5). This means that not only do our mouths have the power to do a lot of harm, but they can also be used to do a lot of good

Speaking to people in ways that are positive, uplifting and Godly can yield greater benefits for yourself and those around you than you've ever realized.

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue…." -Proverbs 18:21

Your hurtful words could tear someone’s spirit down, or you could help save someone’s life by witnessing to or just encouraging them!

Our words have the power to do great things. So why not use them for that!?

Lets pray that God would help us to have greater discernment over our words, but even more than that that He would continue to change our hearts. Because although we can do a lot by having good discernment and exercising self-control with our mouths, in one way or another, our mouths will always reveal the condition of our heart.

“For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.” -Matthew 12:34

Oh Lord change us! Make us more like you! Help us to learn when to be silent, and continue to change our hearts so that when we do speak, it brings life and encouragement, and your light out into the world. You are so good!

Today’s Dare: Today I want you to resolve not to say anything negative about anyone. 

Just try it for a day, and see how it feels. 

Practice holding your tongue in those situations where you want to trash talk, and watch how good it feels to practice this kind of discernment and self control!

Also starting today, I want you to no longer say anything negative about #9.

If you know that this is going to be challenging for you, write down some of the  scriptures from today on a note card and carry it in your purse or wallet. Read them often and do you best to hold to them.

I just already know that wisdom looks so good on you!:)